- The University of Iowa is a flagship public research university in Iowa City, Iowa. It was founded in 1847 and is the oldest and second-largest university in the state of Iowa.
- Since the establishment of the Presidential Scholarship in 1979, the University of Iowa has honored several promising young scholars with funding, community, and recognition.
- The University of Iowa offers the Presidential Scholarship to incoming first-year students. This scholarship is renewable for an additional three years, or until scholars complete their bachelor’s degree.
- Each scholar has access to a broad spectrum of distinctive activities designed to foster exceptional personal, professional and intellectual growth. Students also get to benefit from interaction with visiting scholars, distinguished faculty and campus leaders.
- University of Iowa
Field(s) of Study
- All study programs offered by the University
What does the scholarship cover?
- This scholarship covers only tuition and fees.
- The total amount of each Presidential Scholarship is determined by the scholar’s residency status, i.e.
- Iowa residents: Up to $74,000 (up to $18,500 a year up to four years)
- Nonresidents: Up to $80,000 (up to $20,000 a year up to four years)
- International Students: $40,000 ($10,000 a year up to four years)
How many scholarships are given?
- Up to 20 students are awarded scholarships every year.
Which countries are targeted?
- Both domestic and international students can apply for this scholarship.
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To apply for the Presidential Scholarship, you must:
- Apply to and be admitted to the University of Iowa
- Earn at least the equivalent of a 3.85 high school GPA (weighted or unweighted scores are acceptable)
- Achieve a minimum ACT composite score of 32, or an equivalent SAT score
In addition to the above, the Presidential Scholarship is awarded based on the individual’s demonstrated record of:
- Exceptional academic ability
- Extraordinary intellectual curiosity
- Authentic connection to community
- Integrity in leadership, service, and scholarship
How Do I Apply – Next Steps
First, apply for a place at the University of Iowa
- Submit an online application (Undergraduate Applications)
- Pay the $40 non-refundable application fee
- Have your ACT and SAT scores sent to the University by the testing agency
- After you submit your application, you will receive a Hawk ID and password. Use these to track your application through the Your Admissions Profile
- Once you are accepted, pay the $250 acceptance fee.
Next, apply for the Presidential Scholarship
- Apply for the scholarship through the Iowa Scholarship Portal, the University of Iowa’s online scholarship platform.
- The 2018 Presidential Scholarship application will be available on the Iowa Scholarship Portal (see the link above) in mid-September 2017.
- The deadline for application submission will be communicated once applications are open (most likely November 28, 2017).
How do I get more information?
- Scholarship website: https://honors.uiowa.edu/presidential-scholarship
- Free Scholarships
- Most Recent Scholarships – http://serveafrica.info/category/scholarships
- GOT QUESTIONS – Join the Discussion at our Forum