WAAW Foundation Scholarships
- The Working to Advance Science and Technology Education for African Women (WAAW) Foundations is an international non-profit organization that seeks to increase the number of African women entered into the Science and Technology fields.
- This foundation also aims to ensure that these women engage in Technology Entrepreneurship and Innovation to benefit Africa as a whole.
- WAAW aims to increase the number of African women in STEM by 10% by the year 2025.
- This annual scholarship gives financial support to academically promising female African students who are currently enrolled in a STEM-related discipline in an African college or university.
- Applicants for this scholarship should demonstrate financial need and a strong commitment to participating in the development of the African continent.
- Any African college or university
Fields of Study
Undergraduate programs in:
- Agriculture, Aircraft engineering, Architecture,
- Biomedical, Biochemistry, Biology, Botany,
- Chemistry, Civil engineering and Urbanism, Computer Science,
- Construction technology and management, Economics, Electronics Engineering,
- Engineering Agriculture, Environmental Health, Environmental Science,
- Food Science Technology, Genetics, Geography, Geology,
- Home Science Nutrition and Dietetics, Industrial Chemistry, IT,
- Math-related fields, Natural Science, Pharmacy, Physics,
- Science-related fields, Statistics, Technology, Zoology
How many scholarships are given?
- Not stated
What does the scholarship cover?
- Successful applicants receive $500 yearly.
- Recipients may apply for renewal subject to satisfactory academic performance
Which countries are targeted?
- Applications are invited from women from any African country.
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To qualify for this scholarship, you must be:
- A female student of African origin who lives and studies in Africa
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate B.Sc. degree program
- Demonstrate financial need
- Have an excellent academic record
- Below the age of 32
- Studying a STEM-related course in a college or university in Africa
How do I Apply – Next Steps
- Applicants must complete all sections of the WAAW scholarship form and submit all the required documents by the deadline.
- The application should be completed online.
Each application should include:
- A correctly filled application form submitted online
- Personal and contact information
- A statement of need describing why the scholarship funds are necessary for the course of study, and how they will be utilized.
- Educational and family background information
- Two academic/professional references
- 500-word essay on your future career goals and how the scholarship will help you achieve them
- 300-word essay on your views on female education in Africa and its impact on research, advancement, and development of African economies
- 10 or fewer sentences on why you need a scholarship. You can give details on your need and how the scholarship will help with your career plans
- November 15, 2019
How do I get more information?