- The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LExS) targets excellent students who are enrolling for a full-time Leiden University Master’s degree programme.
- This scholarship targets non-EEA/EFTA nationals who are applying for a Master’s programme at Leiden University.
- Leiden University, Netherlands
Field(s) of Study
- Governance and Global Affairs
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
- African Studies
- Asian Studies
What does the scholarship cover?
There are three available levels of awards:
- € 10,000 of the tuition fee
- € 15,000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
- The LExS is awarded for the full study duration of a Master’s program.
- The LExS is not a full scholarship, and as such, non-EEA LExS recipients must still submit evidence of proof of sufficient funds for their student visa/residence permit application.
How many scholarships are given?
- The number of scholarships given and the type of award depend primarily on the funds disbursed and/or the available budget for each Faculty department.
Which countries are targeted?
- Non-EEA/EFTA nationals
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To qualify for this scholarship, you must:
- Have applied for a Master’s program at Leiden University
- Be a non-EEA/EFTA national
- Have achieved excellent academic results in previous study programs
- Have chosen a Master’s study program that is related to your previous studies at Bachelor’s level
- Have a non-EEA/EFTA passport
- Not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (Studiefinanciering)
How Do I Apply – Next Steps
- First, apply online for admission to a Master’s programme at Leiden University.
- Pay the application fee if applicable.
- Indicate that you want to apply for a LExS in the scholarship section of the online application.
- Upload your LExS motivation letter. This letter should be in PDF format, with a maximum of 500 words, in which you explain why you would like to be considered for the award.
- Submit your online application, which should contain your LExS application before the application deadline.
- If you apply for more than one study programme and would also like to apply for a LExS for each, indicate this clearly in each application. You must also upload a LExS motivation letter for each.
- The faculty selection committees nominate LExS recipients and then inform the Scholarships Team, within 6 weeks after the LExS deadline.
- The Scholarships Team then notifies all LExS applicants of the decisions by:
- The end of November (for the February intake)
- The end of April – (for the September intake)
- Friday 1 February 2022
How do I get more information?