- The MasterCard Foundation AfOx Scholarship Program is an initiative set up by the MasterCard Foundation in partnership with the University of Oxford.
- The MasterCard Foundation AfOx Scholarship Programme targets locally rooted, passionate, and globally minded young people in Africa who desire to undertake graduate studies at the University of Oxford.
- These young people are given a fully-funded opportunity to pursue Master’s Degrees at the University, as well as an opportunity to be mentored and supported by the Scholar Community and the AfOx Research and Innovation Fellows.
- University of Oxford, UK
Field(s) of Study
- Master’s degrees in programmes related to pandemic preparedness and recovery.
What does the scholarship cover?
- Tuition fees
- Living expenses
- Economy return flight
- Immigration surcharge fees
- Settling down allowance
- Access to a Thrive Fund for emergencies
How many scholarships are given?
- 20 scholarships were given in 2022
Which countries are targeted?
- Students from African countries
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To qualify for this scholarship, you should:
- Be a student of African nationality
- Be a resident in an African country
- Meet the requirements for a Master’s programme at the University of Oxford
- Have a conditional offer from the University of Oxford
- Individuals from under-represented groups, i.e. refugees, displaced people, and female scholars are encouraged to apply for this scholarship.
- Residence considerations will be made for students from displaced or refugee backgrounds.
How do I Apply – Next Steps
- You must first submit your application for graduate study to the University of Oxford by the deadline for your chosen course of study. This is done via the graduate admissions portal.
- Read the application guide carefully before you submit your application form and your supporting documentation. If possible, send in your application a week before the official deadline.
- Next, all eligible candidates who receive a conditional offer from their course will be invited to apply for the AfOx Graduate Scholarship Program. Note that all invited candidates must fill in the AfOx Graduate Scholarship questionnaire during this process.
- Shortlisted candidates will then be interviewed virtually before the final selection is done.
- Deadlines are course specific, with the latest being in December/January.
How do I get more information?