- The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program supports economically disadvantaged young people from across the continent, encouraging them to apply their knowledge toward the betterment of their home communities and countries.
- The University of Pretoria has partnered with the MasterCard Foundation to offer postgraduate scholarships to high-achieving African students who desire to pursue studies at the university.
- This scholarship targets selected students who have received provisional admission towards a postgraduate degree.
- On completion of their studies, the recipients are expected to go back to their home countries and give back to the community.
- University of Pretoria
Field(s) of Study
- Engineering (continuing students only)
- Natural and Agricultural Science
- Economic and Management Sciences
- Humanities (Political Studies and International Studies only)
What does the scholarship cover?
- Full tuition fees
- Monthly stipend
- Travel costs (one return trip for the study period)
- Accommodation in a residence within the university
- Medical aid
- Books and printed material
- Visa application costs for one visa for the duration of the study period
How many scholarships are given?
- Not stated
Which countries are targeted?
- Students from African countries
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To qualify for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a citizen of an African country.
- Have completed a bachelor’s degree.
- Have already applied for and been accepted into one of the programs eligible for the MCFSP scholarship. This program must be a full-time program.
- Demonstrate financial need and be from an economically disadvantaged background.
- Demonstrate leadership potential and be actively involved in a giving back project.
- All continuing students who are applying for an Honors or Masters in Engineering are also eligible.
- You must apply for and be admitted into a postgraduate degree program before you apply for the MCFSP scholarship.
- Postgraduate applicants will need to have their certificates verified by the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA).
How do I apply – Next Steps
- Apply online, using the university application portal. You can also send in a hard copy of your application. (Call +27 (0)12 420 4297/6621 to find out how to submit a hard copy of your application.)
- Your application will be evaluated by members of the faculty to which you have applied. The outcome of the evaluation will then be communicated to you.
- After you have been admitted, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to begin the process of applying for the scholarship.
- Next, download a copy of the scholarship application form from the University’s website.
- Once you have completed the scholarship application, send it to the email address indicated above.
- Previous academic achievement
- The applicant’s fit into the program’s ethos
- The applicant’s focus on community development and leadership
- 31 October 2022
How do I get more information?
- Website: UP MasterCard Scholarships