- MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology) Japan offers scholarships to international teachers who would like to carry out research on school education in Japan.
- This research targets teachers from countries that have diplomatic relations with Japan, and is carried out at designated universities in Japan.
- Designated Japanese universities
Field(s) of Study
What does the scholarship cover?
- Tuition fees
- An allowance of 143,000 yen per month paid after arrival in Japan.
- A supplemental regional allowance of 2,000 or 3,000 yen per month added to the monthly scholarship amount for grantees studying or conducting research in specifically designated regions.
- Travel to and from the applicant’s home country to Japan (economy class)
How many scholarships are given?
- Not stated
Which countries are targeted?
- International teachers
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To qualify for this scholarship, you should:
- Be born on or after April 2, 1988
- Be a national of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Be a graduate of a university or teacher training school
- Have worked as a teacher at a primary or secondary educational institution or teacher training school in your home country for a total period of five years or more as of October 1, 2023.
- Be willing to learn Japanese and be interested in Japan and its culture.
- Have the ability to adapt to life in Japan.
- Submit a health certificate in the prescribed format indicating that you have no physical or mental condition that can hinder your studies while in Japan.
- Obtain a student visa at the Japanese diplomatic mission located in your home country.
- Be able to arrive in Japan by the designated arrival period.
- Commit to returning to your home country at the end of the scholarship period and returning to your work as a teacher at your primary/secondary educational institution or teacher training school.
- If you fail to return to your home country at the end of the study period, or to resume your work at the institution where you came from, you may be required to return the entire amount of the scholarship paid during the scholarship period.
How Do I Apply – Next Steps
- Fill in the application form at the website below and submit it to the nearest Japanese embassy or consulate general in your country.
- The first screening will then take place at the embassy, after which successful applications are forwarded to MEXT in Japan.
- Application form
- Placement Preference Application Form
- Certified grade transcript for each academic year from the last university/ teacher training school attended
- The diploma from the last university/ teacher training school attended
- Certificate of employment
- Recommendation letter from the immediate supervisor at work
- Medical certificate
- February 10, 2023
How do I get more information?