- The Beijing Government Scholarship (BGS) was established by the Beijing Municipal Government, aiming to provide tuition fees fully or partially to international students studying or applying for study in Beijing. Its administrative office is the International Cooperation and Exchange Office of Beijing Municipal Commission of Education, which oversees project establishment, review, acceptance and daily management of the Beijing Government Scholarship Program.
- International students applying for Beijing Government Scholarships normally submit relevant materials to the universities in Beijing that he/she hopes to apply to by the end of February every year.
- Institutions of higher education in the Beijing region.
Field(s) of Study
- Study at Chinese institutions of higher education in the Beijing region.
What does the scholarship cover?
This scholarship covers tuition fees only as follows:
- Doctoral student scholarship – 40,000 RMB per person, per year
- Master student scholarship – 30,000 RMB per year
- Undergraduate student scholarship – 20,000 RMB per year
- Senior scholarship and long-term language student scholarship – 10,000 RMB per year
- Scholarships for exchange students (long-term credit transferrable students) and students who make special contribution to international exchange and cooperation in the capital area – 5,000 RMB per year
How many scholarships are given?
- Not stated
Which countries are targeted?
- All countries
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To qualify for this scholarship:
- Applicants should be non-Chinese citizens and in good health
- Applicants for the undergraduate programs must have a senior high school diploma with good academic performance and be under the age of 30
- Applicants for master’s degree programs must have a bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35
- Applicants for doctoral programs should have a master’s degree and be under the age of 40
- Applicants for long-term language studies must have a senior high school diploma and be under the age of 60
- All applicants for the general scholar program must have a bachelor’s degree or have completed at least two years of undergraduate study, and be under the age of 50
- All applicants for senior scholar programs should have a master’s degree or hold an academic title of associate professor or above, and be under the age of 50
- All applicants should meet the language requirements set by the higher education institutions
- Applicants should not be previous or simultaneous awardees of Chinese Government Scholarships
How Do I Apply – Next Steps
- All applicants should consult the dispatching authorities such as relevant government departments, Chinese embassies or consulates about application details.
- The applicants can also visit the website of Beijing Municipal Commission of Education for the application details.
- Applicants can apply to the higher education institutions that are eligible to enroll scholarship students.
The following application documents are required:
- Application Form for Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship (can be collected from the institutions in Beijing or downloaded from the school’s website)
- Highest diploma and transcript (notarized photocopy).
- Applicants for Degree study or specialized research should submit a study plan (no more than 400 words) or a research plan (no more than 800 words).
- Applicants for music and fine arts are requested to submit personal works
- Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (printed by the Chinese quarantine authority and only for those whose period of study in China is six months or greater).
- Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the legal documents of their legal guardians in China.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
- End of February (every year)
How do I get more information?