- The MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program targets young people who are academically talented but economically disadvantaged, equipping them to transform the continent of Africa through knowledge, attitude, and leadership skills.
- The University of Pretoria has partnered with the MasterCard Foundation to offer postgraduate scholarships to high achieving African students who desire to pursue studies at the university.
- This scholarship targets selected students who have received provisional admission towards a postgraduate degree for full scholarships from the MasterCard Foundation.
- On completion of their studies, the recipients are expected to go back to their home countries and give back to the community.
- University of Pretoria
Field(s) of Study
- Engineering (continuing students only)
- Natural and Agricultural Science
- Economic and Management Studies
- Humanities (Political Studies and International Studies only)
What does the scholarship cover?
- Full tuition fees
- Monthly stipend
- Travel costs (one return trip for the study period)
- Accommodation in a residence within the university
- Medical aid
- Books and printed material
- Visa application costs for one visa for the duration of the study period
How many scholarships are given?
- Not stated
Which countries are targeted?
- Students from African countries
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To qualify for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a resident or citizen of an African country
- Have completed a bachelor’s degree
- Have already applied for and been accepted into one of the programs eligible for the MCFSP scholarship. This program must be a full-time program.
- Not be in a position to pay the full fees required for the course
- All continuing students who are applying for an Honors or Masters in Engineering are also eligible.
- You must apply for and be admitted into a postgraduate degree program before you apply for the MCFSP scholarship.
- Postgraduate applicants will need to have their certificates verified by the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA).
How do I apply – Next Steps
- Apply online, using the university application portal. As soon as you submit the application, you will get a student number.
Hard copy applications can be sent to:
University of Pretoria,
Student Service Centre
Hatfield Pretoria 0028
(You can also call this number (+27 (0)12 420 4297/6621) to find out how to submit a hard copy of your application.)
- Your application will be evaluated by members of the faculty to which you have applied. The outcome of the evaluation will then be communicated to you.
- Next, download application forms for MCFSP from the University’s MCF scholarship page.
- Previous academic achievement
- The applicant’s fit into the program’s ethos
- The applicant’s focus on community development and leadership
- 31 August 2020
How do I get more information?